Sunday, January 8, 2012

Go ahead… make someone’s day

How do I acknowledge you… let me count the ways… There are people who regularly deal with the public. Then there are those who are in the public dealing. There lies opportunities to make someone’s day.

There’s nothing sweeter than the sound of your name
Just to name a few, cashiers, medical personnel, wait staff and even TSA agents serve on a platter opportunities to have meaningful exchanges just because they are wearing name badges. Addressing someone by name shows respect and lets them know you know who they are. If you really want to get
and give kudos for paying attention, if they’re wearing a photo ID tell them that their photo doesn’t do them justice; it probably will be true. That will surely make someone’s day and makes employers think name badges are worth the expense.

How much does a compliment cost
It depends on how much you want to spend, and if you invest wisely you may be the one to cash in. Unashamedly, I am an earring fanatic. When I see someone wearing a pair I really like, I might say, ‘I love your earrings, when you’re done with them I’d like to have them.’ I promise you I have acquired many pairs of earrings on the spot as a result of that exchange. Now that’s what you call getting two for one. The math doesn’t always work out like that but a compliment is always priceless.

One question
I don’t know about you but I used to only talk to strangers or people in line if they had a cute child. I never wanted my motives questioned. But now I see that it does more good than harm. Small talk is huge. In the process of writing this blog a waiter named Simon in Atlanta turned the tables on me. I was wearing a sweatshirt from the MOJA festival in Charleston, SC. He asked me how I pronounced the word MOJA. After responding he told me in Swahili the word meant One. I asked what country in Africa was he from and Simon said Kenya. I told him when we make a return visit to Ethiopia we plan to go to Kenya. Then we found out after he finishes his studies in computer technology he will return to his homeland. It’s amazing the things you can learn about each other in a few moments. I have turned perfect strangers into real friends and it all started with just one question.

Today we move and live and have our being at such a fast pace. Taking time to smell the roses is one thing. What’s of far greater value and leaves a sweeter aroma is taking time to acknowledge someone just because they are standing where they are. Go ahead… make someone’s day.

2 comments:

  1. Love this Kathryn! It's the ordinary, daily interactions that make up our days and if we can reach out to each other in our ordinary, daily situations with simple, considerate acknowledgement, it can make everyones day better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well stated! I too find that a pleasant smile and a kind word may lead to a friendly conversation.

    ReplyDelete